The Importance of 18th Birthday Parties
18th birthdays are exciting and symbolic events. Both the end of childhood and the entry into adulthood are symbolized in this one milestone, so a happy and memorable celebration is entirely called for. Moreover, the honoree is most likely still living at home, meaning the 18th birthday is possibly the last celebration his/her family will take a leading role in planning. As this birthday is often the last he or she will celebrate before college and life take precedence, it's important to make the celebration one to remember! We've assembled plenty of tips, ideas and inspiration to help make the 18th birthday party you're planning one for the books.
18th Birthday Party Invitations
When working on your personalized 18th birthday invitations, be sure to consult with your honoree and match their style to your customized invitations. Paper invitations are best; they lend a sense of occasion and can serve as valuable keepsakes. Match your custom invites to the theme or include a favorite snapshot of the birthday boy or girl. If the party is near graduation, a senior portrait could be classy addition. For a thoughtful touch, order personalized thank you notes to match your party invites and give a thoughtful and coordinated impression.
Invitations for 18th birthday parties should be sent at least six weeks in advance. It's important to give guests time to receive their invites and RSVP before it's necessary to finalize the details of décor, food, drinks, and activities. Speaking of RSVP's, make sure you give good instructions and deadlines. 18th birthdays are milestone events, and it's important to have a clear idea who will be attending on the day. In terms of assembling a guest list, consult with your honoree as to who exactly should be invited. Unless it's a surprise party, the birthday boy or girl will certainly have a good idea of who they'd like to be present on their big day. If you're struggling with balancing family and friends, one solution is to plan another, smaller gathering for extended family. A smaller party might offer family members the intimacy they desire, and save the honoree from struggling to divide their time between friends and family at the party.
18th Birthday Gift Ideas
Whether you're hosting or attending an 18th birthday party, gifts are an important piece in the overall success of the party. If you're hosting, it's up to you to decide if you'd like to give a gift beyond hosting the party. If you're attending, it's standard to bring a small gift with you to the event. When in doubt, check with the birthday boy or girl, or choose a gift from the list of ideas below.
- Gift Card. You can never go wrong with a cash gift for a young adult. Choose their favorite restaurant, store, or consider movie or event passes for a gift that will always be appreciated.
- Concert/Sports Tickets. Surprise the birthday boy or girl with tickets to see their favorite band or team. Some concerts and shows are only for age 18 and up, so this might be a fun way to celebrate their new journey into adulthood.
- Personalized photo gift. If you have a long history and a bevy of memorable photographs to share, consider using a favorite image to create a gift that's truly unique. Create a mug for an avid coffee drinker, or a smartphone case for a social media savant. The possibilities are endless!
- Day trip or activity. Consider an event, trip or activity for a gift with lasting effect. A trip to the mountains, the beach, or a shopping excursion downtown will never go amiss, depending on the desires of the honoree. If time is short, book a mani/pedi, a time to see a new flick, or even a trip to the driving range. Particularly if the birthday boy or girl is leaving home for college, time is of the essence
- Dorm décor. If you're celebrating with a teen who will shortly be beginning a college experience, consider a personalized gift to brighten up their new dorm room. Custom wall art works perfectly in this case, and definitely beats the standard-issue wall posters. Pick a favorite photo or use the honoree's new school logo and create a custom gift that's bound to impress.
18th Birthday Party Theme and Décor Ideas
18th birthday parties are the perfect occasion for a fun and creative theme. We've put together some of our favorite theme ideas for 18th birthday parties below.
- Luau. This theme could work for any time of year, and provides easy inspiration for food and décor. Go the extra mile and encourage your honoree to wear a grass skirt – regardless of gender!
- Sports-themed. Particularly if your honoree is an athlete, a sports-themed gathering provides easy options for activities and décor.
- Surprise party. The theme of a surprise party is the reveal itself. A surprise might be a great option for someone who's turning 18 with a bit of trepidation, or someone who doesn't love to plan activities or events.
- "Remember your youth" party. Another décor-friendly theme, a "remember your youth" party could feature photos, images and videos from the honoree's childhood. As the 18th celebration marks the entry into adulthood, this theme works well for a nostalgic honoree.
- Picnic. Similar to a barbeque event, a picnic is best suited to the warmer months, and could be a great solution for large parties. Best for a low-maintenance honoree, turn this theme into a potluck and book your favorite outdoor space for a fun and easy event to remember.
- Scavenger hunt. If you love to party plan and have an enthusiastic honoree, consider organizing a scavenger hunt around their high school or childhood home for a touch of excitement and nostalgia.
- Barbeque. Especially suited for summer events, a barbeque is a great solution for larger gatherings, or for an honoree that prefers to focus on food and socializing with their friends and family rather than on elaborate games, activities or décor.
- Adventure-themed party. If you're planning a celebration for an adventurer, outdoorsman or athlete, consider skipping the traditional party and organizing a trip or adventure for family or friends. Rafting, climbing, sky-diving, fishing or camping are all great ideas for a memorable and adventurous celebration.
18th Birthday Party Theme Ideas for Girls
- Hollywood themed party. Encourage your honoree and her guests to dress in their favorite old-Hollywood ensembles for a glamourous and fun 18th birthday celebration. Screen a few classic movies and designate a space for some jazz-age dancing.
- Princess theme. A play on a childhood birthday could be just the thing for a girly honoree. Sparkly, delicate and frosty food and décor work perfectly with this theme. A game of dress up or a tea party could be a fun inclusion, or screen a few of your birthday girl's favorite classic princess flicks.
- Mocktail party. Your birthday girl and her guests can dress in their finest for this fun and social party idea. Designate a ‘bar' and a bartender to whip up some fancy drinks, and compliment the event with a photo booth or hire a few ‘paparazzi' to snap photos of the guests in action.
18th Birthday Party Theme Ideas for Boys
- Paintball party. This is the perfect idea for an active teen and a small group of equally competitive guests. Organize a pizza party and birthday cake after the game for an 18th birthday that won't disappoint.
- Bonfire. Perfect for a beach or an outdoor event, gather your birthday boy and his friends around a bonfire for a perfectly fitting entry into adulthood.
- Casino/Poker themed. If you have a large and open indoor space, consider renting casino and poker supplies for a fun and grown-up party idea. Give the guests coins or small items to ‘bet' with, and offer a few fun prizes for guests to earn when they ‘cash out.'
With 18th birthday parties, there's no need to go overboard with planned games or with décor. A few banners, balloons and whatever's related to the theme or chosen activity will suffice. If you're hosting a party at home and would prefer an activity that requires minimal planning and effort, consider renting a bouncy castle or inflatable toys for the guests to enjoy. Bouncy castles and toys are simple, easy, and will definitely provide some great photo ops. If hosting a daytime BBQ or picnic, consider including water guns or balloons, and encourage your guests to pelt the honoree for a photo op no one will forget in a hurry!
How to Choose a Venue for 18th Birthdays
It's important to keep your chosen theme or activity in mind when choosing a venue for 18th birthday parties. Homes, restaurants, or school venues are great and usually economical options, but make sure your chosen theme or activity is allowed and encouraged. If you're hosting a large group or have a particular theme in mind, a pool or beach party would eliminate much of the hassle existent with indoor venues. An easy way to incorporate an activity is to host a party at a bowling alley, laser tag arena, concert, sports event, or even an amusement park. Wherever you choose, your location should be consistent with your chosen theme or activity.
Food and Beverage Ideas for 18th Birthdays
The mainstay of 18th birthday parties is a cake or special celebratory dessert. Most bakeries have plenty of birthday options to choose from, and it's a nice touch to present a personalized birthday treat. In regards to selecting the other food and beverages, stick to your honoree's favorites, but make sure you have plenty of everything. Particularly if you're hosting a large group, 18th birthday parties are not the time to go light on the food and beverages. Most of your honoree's friends will arrive expecting close to a full meal, and especially if there's an activity involved, you may end up with a group of hungry guests if there's not enough on offer.
Documenting 18th Birthday Parties
Your honoree is most likely very familiar with photo documentation and with the world of social media. As the 18th birthday is a milestone, it's important to document the event in a creative and lasting way. Consider creating an Instagram hashtag and encouraging guests to snap and share. Also consider hiring a professional, or designate a semi-official event photographer. A photo booth or photo station is also a fun way to document the event, and could function as another fun activity that will surely delight social media-savvy teens.
After the event is over and thoroughly documented, don't forget to instruct your teen on the importance of thoughtful thank you notes. Especially considering the importance of 18th birthdays, your honoree will surely be gifted some very thoughtful presents. It's important to ensure your honoree responds with equal care and consideration.