Last Updated: Oct 15, 2018
Few things kick off the start of a new year like a party. Most love the opportunity to celebrate with friends, drink champagne, and watch the big countdown. These parties are your first experience in the New Year, so it’s important to make them something to remember. If you’re looking for fun News Years Eve party ideas, look no further. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite ideas for you below.
- New Years Eve Party Theme Ideas
- Delicious New Years Eve Party Food Ideas
- New Year Decoration Ideas
- Other New Years Eve Ideas
Every New Years party needs a theme, and it needs to be unique in order to stand out. Whether the party you’re throwing is a sophisticated adults-only affair, or a fun movie-marathon party for the kids, make the most you can out of it. However, before you get started you should record the details of your party planning. This will give you a better idea of your ideal theme and help you move forward. Here’s our guidelines for things to consider when party planning for New Years:
- Make your guest list. Figure out which family, friends, or coworkers you want included. After completing your headcount you’ll have an idea for the type of party you’ll be throwing.
- Decide on a theme. Picking a theme helps give your party life. Make sure it’s a good one with our recommendations starting in the next section.
- Pick a venue. Make sure to take into account both the theme and guestlist when picking a venue. Your house may be perfect for a get-together with friends, but larger or more elegant affairs are more easily held in a restaurant or event center.
- Send out invites. Invitations should be sent out 3-4 weeks in advance. This will give your guests time to plan accordingly. Dress code information should also be included on these cards.
- Collect all necessary decorations, food, drinks, and other supplies. It wouldn’t be a New Years Party without champagne.
Fun New Years Eve Party Ideas
New Years Eve, above all, is a celebration. Your party theme should reflect the joyous holiday full of new hopes and aspirations. These themes do just that.
Just Desserts Party
Fill party tables with fun and decorative dessert stations to keep your guests on a sugar high until the ball drops. Dessert ideas include cupcakes, cake pops, chocolate fondue, hot chocolate, and clock decorated oreos.
No color pairs better with New Years than gold. Deck out your venue with golden decorations like gold sequins signs, gold mylar balloons, and gold frosted drink glasses.
BYOA (Bring Your Own Appetizers)
If you and your friends love parties with plenty of food, throw a BYOA party. Ask each guest to come with their favorite festive appetizer and display the plates on a decorated table. This will keep everyone from leaving the party on an empty stomach.
Black and White Party
Black and white make for a classic New Years Eve color scheme. The colors play well with clock and time imagery, make for an elegant dress code, and leave plenty of opportunity for food and drink options.
New Years Eve Party Ideas For Adults
The kids have all tired out and been put to bed, and now it’s time for the adults to celebrate the coming of the New Year. These festive party ideas are perfect for an adults-only affair:
There’s no better beverage to kick off a New Years Eve party than champagne. Feature the drink as the centerpiece of your party with champagne buckets, champagne-colored decor, and plenty of appetizers.
New Beer’s Eve
If you’re looking for a more masculine theme, consider throwing a New Beer’s Eve Party. This party features plenty of craft beer choices and rustic decor. Decor options include twine, metallic accents, and burlap.
Shaking Things Up Party
If you’d rather feature a well-thought out cocktail menu instead of beer or champagne, consider a “shaking things up” party. Break out your cocktail shakers and come up with a centerpiece drink to carry you through the countdown.
New Years Eve Party Ideas For Kids
Nothing beats welcoming in the New Year with the whole family. If you’re looking for some fun New Year’s Eve themes that are also family-friendly, check out our ideas below.
I Scream (Ice Cream) for New Years Party
Help keep the kids up and awake until the ball drops with an ice cream party. Create a build your own ice cream bar and let the creativity flow. Then welcome in the New Year with one big “I Scream for New Years!”
Fireworks Colors Party
Fireworks are one of the best part of a New Years party, and a perfect way to include the kids. Break out plenty of colorful decor and buy plenty of sparklers to round out the decorations, then watch local fireworks together.
Balloon drops are both a fun and easy party centerpiece. Just fill up balloons so that they’re heavy enough to fall to the ground, hang them up by taping a cloth to the ceiling and filling it with the balloons, and rip it open with a pull string when the countdown reaches its conclusion.
Make sure your New Years Eve party menu is complete with the perfect party food ideas. From finger foods to fondue dippings, make sure your guests never go hungry so they have energy all the way until midnight. Here’s some of our food favorites:
- Finger Foods. Small, easy to pick up appetizers like smoked salmon on cucumber or small pastries make perfect party food.
- Salted Caramel Popcorn. This easy to make and easier to eat sweet treat is perfect party food.
- Champagne cupcakes. Combine two of the best parts of a party with champagne cupcakes.
- Fondue. Fondue made it back into popular culture again since the 50’s, and it’s back to being a great party food centerpiece.
- Antipasto sticks. These easy to plate, easy to pick up appetizers make for a delicious shared party plate.
If you’re looking for decoration specifics, we have a few recommendations. Consider glittering up your drinks with sugar or glitter glue the glasses before hand. You can also hang string lights and metallic streamers to carry out the glitter party scheme. For more elegant parties, make sure to include lots of gold, black, and white. Many New Years Eve parties are completed by blow up balloons.
If you want to create a space for friends and family to capture memories of the night, try crafting a New Years photo booth. Pair this with plenty of provided props and New Years Costume Elements and a themed bar and you’re guaranteed a great night with loved ones.
If you loved these party ideas and are looking for additional New Years inspiration, consider check out our New Years cards and content on Holiday Card Messages and Wishes.